Saturday, November 28, 2015

Chuck' Meats

Chuck's Meats
5425 S 11500
Arcadia, UT 84021 

I had the great fortune of picking up an Elk tag in Utah this year and thanks to my countless hours of training on Nintendo's tactical hunting training game; a.k.a."Duck Hunt" I filled my tag on opening morning. Year after year one can get tired of eating Elk, Deer, Caribou, steaks and roasts, so this season I decided to mix things up.
The nearest town to where I was hunting at is Dutch John, UT and based on the locals recommendations for meat processing, I was informed Chuck's Meats is the place to go. Mind you Dutch John is a very small town full of hunters so the unanimous praises of Chuck's Meats was a solid sign that this was the place to take the Elk I eventually picked up.
After skinning and cutting off the choice pieces of meat, my Dad and I took the remainder of my Elk to Chuck's.
Just in case you didn't get your fix of "Having the Be Jesus scared out of you" during the Gypsy like haunted house Halloween rush, I recommend you swing by this place. Several times I have had the fortune or misfortune of using meat processing facilities and this one was more memorable than most. I should clarify that the outside of this place will scare the shit out of anyone not named Jason Voorhees. First of all it is out in the middle of nowhere, really it is and it makes scenes from the movie Deliverance look like a metropolis. Had it not been for Carl's (one of the locals who recommended this place) hand drawn map, my Pops and I would have never found it. Upon finding Chuck's Meats we backed into the drop off point to deliver the goods.
The large cold metal door that protects the outside world from the sights of a slaughter house was surrounded by garbage cans filled with skulls, rotting bones, hides, and discarded animal parts. My words will not do the sights or smells of this scene justice. For the most part I find my stomach to be nearly bulletproof; except for dog pooh that is my exception. However, the sight of this albeit necessary but frightening crime scene was the moment we encountered some of Chuck's employee's. With their butcher aprons, galoshes, gloves covered in blood and fillet knives strapped to their sides they approached my father and I. It seemed that at this moment my Dad and I were nothing more than potential future sausages.
Instead of hearing an expected opening statement spoken with a mouth full of chewing tobacco like "Ya'll ain't from around these parts is ya?" the owners son in law greeted us with friendly conversation and a personable attitude.
From my experience, Chuck's is almost as good as it gets. They made a portion of my Elk into Summer Sausage at no extra cost and I have to say, it's the best I Summer Sausage I have tasted in my life. The remainder was turned into a few roasts, hamburger, and Italian Sausages. Elk can be on the south side of gamey if cured poorly, but this place did top shelf work handling my meat. (Gross I know but it needed to be said) Even if you provide positive feedback about the quality of their processing and seasoning abilities I would make sure to keep a mindful tongue when visiting this place. There are miles of open space surrounding Chuck's Meats that would make a fine shallow grave for said smart mouthed individual.
Yeah, this place was that kind of scary, but well worth the risk.

Stay Awesome Chuck's!

No comments:

Post a Comment