Saturday, November 28, 2015

Global Career Management

 Global Career Management
1675 Broadway
Denver, CO 80202

Recently I decided to quit my job as a sales manager/headhunter with Robert Half International.  I'm a firm believer that if you no longer like the company you are working for or are unhappy, it's time to quit.
Upon submitting my two weeks' notice, I posted my resume on CareerBuilder.  Having worked in the headhunting/recruiting field for the past two years I know that a lot of opportunities can sprout up from this simple action.  The majority of the candidates I placed with my clients during my time with Robert Half were found via CareerBuilder.  Hands down the most enjoyable part about my job at Robert Half was helping my clients find the perfect candidate for a position they had open in their company.  If I did my job properly that meant the client, candidate, and I all had a smile on our face at the end of the deal.  The end result was usually the same, I helped save my client time and money, and I helped find someone a great job that fit into the scope of what they were looking for.
 While I know the intro to this review was long the reason for it should make sense in a moment.  Shortly after posting my resume on CareerBuilder, I received a phone call from Steve Brown the Vice President at GCM.  He began drilling me with questions like "Are you REALLY serious about your career search" and "Would you like to work with a company that will help you in your future salary negotiations?"  While we were on the phone I looked online for some reviews and info on GCM.  Around the time I realized that I was speaking with a scam artist I asked him some questions of my own.  I asked him if GCM is candidate or client paid organization, and either way how does GCM determine their markup. (Side note, a headhunter's markup is almost always based off this simple but overpriced formula. The client is charged 1% per $1000 of the candidate's yearly salary up to 30%)   GCM is paid via the candidates (Warning, to any of you looking to do business with a headhunter or recruiter, make sure they bill the client and not yourself)   Steve proceeded to explain to me that his firm specializes in career counseling and helping candidates come up with business plans.
The GCM business professional's a.k.a. (overpaid high school guidance counselors) offer to help you build your resume and review practice questions prior to an interview.  Unlike a headhunter, they do not offer to sell you to clients; all they offer is career counseling. They offered me these services for the small price of $5500 for a five month contract or $15000 for a year long contract of their "career assistance."
 These folks offer to help you write your resume and prepare for interviews you find yourself, for a price that has a comma in it!  Hey, here is an idea, use the internet or buy a book for around $10                       (I recommend First Year in Sales) that will arm you with better tools than what this organization offers.
If any of you decide to work with a headhunter make sure they bill the client for services rendered and not yourself.   Also, ask how many companies they have in their database that might be a good fit for your background.  Trust me when I say that that any honest headhunter or staffing manager will answer accordingly. Every reputable headhunting agency whether it be Aerotek, Spherion, or Robert Half abide by the principal that the client should pay for the headhunting service, not the candidate.
Good luck GCM, I'm sorry you weren't able to con me out of $5500.  Please, for the sake of the tax payers, who you will surely be asking for a bailout shortly, learn how to do business the right way. It's scamers like this that make white people look bad.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment